Friday, April 15, 2011

God's Presence...What Will We Do With It?

Again I am referencing the book Facing Your Giants.

For so long, I had believed the presence of the Lord had left me...that He would no longer speak to me. But the last few days have proved me wrong.

In chapter 13, Distant Diety in Max Lucado's book Facing Your Giants so much became clear, along with some Ronda stuff thrown in.

Learning a lesson from Uzzah and David about God's presence.

Uzzah's death in 2 Samuel teaches us that "God comes on his own terms." We must listen to these terms before we are dead to Him. Here are his terms: His "commands are to be revered, hearts are (to be) clean, and confession is (to be) made." You see I had to honor him with my realization that He is the one in control. I had to clean my heart before Him. He wanted to hear my confessions. Uzzah was in a hurry to get the "job" done.

David comes along to do the task differently. David didn't hurry. When David realized God's presence was with him, what did he do? He danced "with all his might before the Lord." "When God came to town, he couldn't sit still"

Do we prepare ourselves for God to visit? Do we revere him, clean our hearts and confess? And when God decides to visit, what do we do with that?

"David remembered this: God's present is his presence. His greatest gift is himself" How often do I forget this? When this is forgotten regardless of where we are, we find ourselves very alone.

What his presence helps us remember is "we are never alone. Ever." This means he knows my fears, my worries and is with me in my fears and in my worries.

"God loves you too much to leave you alone, so he hasn't He hasn't left you alone with your fears, your worries, your disease or your death. So kick up you heels for joy."

God doesn't want us to live life with a spirit that is unjoyful - as if life is to be dreaded. So many times, I believe that we think that we are to live life beaten down, always punishing ourselves. That isn't what God wants at all! With his presence with us, we are to live life dancing, joyful, like it is a continuous party.

Once the commands are obeyed, hearts cleansed, and confessions are made, then "God is with us. That is reason to celebrate."

Lessons from Uzzah: "No awe of God leads to the death of man. God won't be cajoled, commanded, conjured up, or called down. He is a personal God (I forget this a lot. Maybe more than a lot.) who loves and heals and helps and intervenes. He doesn't respond to magic potions or clever slogans. He looks for...reverence, obedience, and God-hungry hearts."

"And when he see them (hungry hearts), he comes! And when he comes, let the band begin. And, yes, a reverent heart and a dancing foot can belong to the same person." Look at David.

Lord, may I revere you, obey you and confess to you. May I notice when you come...and dance!

No comments: