Monday, February 23, 2009

The Miracle of Grandma


I have been thinking about grandma a lot lately. Ruth Memory Sheppard Johnston was her name. She was almost 94 years old when she went home to be with the Lord. One of the treasures that she left behind is her journals. While looking at one of her journals one day, my sister and I found the following entry on July 15, 1995.

"In May of 1968, I had thyroid surgery. The doctors said in all probability I wouldn't be able to talk. Prayer went up for me all over the country. They said I cam to talking and hadn't shut up since. I can't sing. I asked the surgeon about it. He said, "Don't try." Half of your vocal chords are paralyzed."

For 17 years, almost every time I went to see Dr. Shallenberger he would say, "by all human reasoning, you should be dead."

In October, 1993, I had pneumonia. I was having to fight for my breath. I began to wonder if it was worth the effort. I was ready to quit. I said, "Lord, if you want me to live, you will have to help me." My breathing became easier.

In May of 1995 the Lanoxin level in my blood became extremely high. The doctor said "the highest had seen it in years. You must be tough." no, I am not tough. The Lord stood by my side and gave me strength.

I am here for a purpose. God give me wisdom, knowledge, understanding, and strength to fulfill that purpose."
---Ruth Johnston

May Grandma encourage you through the words the Lord gave her.

No comments: